Paralegal - Legal and Compliance, APAC
Job no: 609126
Work type: Permanent
Categories: Asia Pacific, Individual Contributor, Legal & Patents, Students & Graduates
Cochlear’s mission is to help people hear and be heard. Around the world, more people chose a Cochlear-branded hearing implant system than any other. Our employees tell us that the number one reason they enjoy working for Cochlear is the opportunity to make a difference to people’s lives. Learn and grow with us as we tackle the most complex challenges in helping people to Hear Now. And Always.
Cochlear Asia-Pacific, the fastest growing division of Cochlear Ltd, has a direct market presence in Japan, Korea, China, India, SE Asia and Australia & New Zealand. Our implantable hearing device portfolio includes cochlear implant systems (Nucleus®) and bone conduction implant systems (Baha®)
Cochlear now has a new opportunity for a part-time Paralegal, reporting to the Associate General Counsel, to be based in our Asia Pacific (APAC) regional headquarters in Sydney. In this role, the successful Paralegal will have the opportunity to support the APAC legal and compliance function, providing high level paralegal services across the APAC region, including managing the legal and compliance function workflow, performing research, maintaining compliance records and providing efficient and professional contracts review, drafting and management services.
In this role, you will:
- Support the APAC legal department to develop internal policies/procedures to ensure compliance with laws in the APAC region and Cochlear’s compliance policies.
- Review, draft and revise a range of commercial contracts (including, but not limited to, confidentiality agreements, consultancy arrangements and service agreements).
- Develop key relationships with APAC colleagues in the field to ensure legal services are integrated with operations.
- Provide litigation support to the APAC legal and compliance function.
- Assist with due diligence when the business is entering a new foreign market in the APAC region and/or when appointing a new third party business partner.
- Review and modify standard templates to meet changes to local laws and regulations and/or changing business requirements
- Develop and support training on policies and procedures (including Privacy and the Business Relationship Policies) and maintain training records for all employees across APAC.
- Collate documentation relating to product liability claims and prepare files for submission to the Global legal department.
- Maintain company secretarial records for all subsidiaries across APAC.
- Manage work flow for the legal and compliance function, including opening new files, closing files and entering data into the file management system.
- Perform legal research and analysis of legal problems and issues across APAC.
You Bring Your Skills and Experience
As we grow our operations, we are looking for people who share our passion for delivering quality hearing solutions to our customers. To add value to Cochlear in this role, you'll be able to demonstrate the following skills and experience:
- Bachelor of Laws student (in 2nd or 3rd year) with a strong academic record (distinction average)
- Availability to work 20 hours a week (minimum 4 hours per day), with a minimum 12 month commitment
- Prior experience in a similar role (law firm or corporate legal department)
- Demonstrated skills in prioritising work and meeting deadlines
- Ability to work with a high degree of independence and with sensitivity and confidentiality
- Exceptional interpersonal skills; friendly; approachable and diplomatic
- Exceptional proofreading skills; accurate with meticulous attention to detail
- Excellent skills in word processing and PowerPoint with basic skills in Excel
- Experience working in the Asia Pacific region
- Experience working in legal in a medical device, pharmaceutical or Life Sciences industry
- Fluent in English and Mandarin
In turn, you will have the opportunity to develop valuable practical experience as a key member of a regional, in-house corporate legal and compliance team. You will gain exposure to international jurisdictions and experience working closely with colleagues across the Asia Pacific region. In this role, you will have the unique opportunity to engage in the delivery of life changing technology to recipients, helping them to Hear now. And Always.
Working for Cochlear:
Cochlear is the global leader in the research and development, manufacture and marketing of implantable hearing solutions. Cochlear’s global headquarters is located on the campus of Macquarie University, Sydney, Australia to enable links to world leading hearing science research. A success story in the commercialisation of R&D, Cochlear has over 60% share of the global market, employs more than 3,500 people worldwide and operates directly in over 20 countries. Over 550,000 people across more than 100 countries now experience hearing as a recipient of a Cochlear hearing solution. Cochlear can offer:
- The Work - A high impact job supporting world leading technology
- The Organisation – A global leader in active implantable medical device hearing technology
- The Opportunity – To make a difference to the quality of people’s lives
As a world-leader in innovative medical devices, Cochlear encourages continuous learning for employees. Visit www.cochlearcareers.com for more information.
How to Apply:
Please submit your resume and a covering letter detailing your suitability for this role. All applications will be considered and qualified candidates will be contacted.
Advertised: AUS Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: AUS Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now