Legal Counsel - EMEA
Job no: 609575
Work type: Permanent
Categories: Legal & Patents, Western Europe, Individual Contributor
Broad Content of Role:
Fantastic opportunity due to internal promotion for an experienced Lawyer with strong contractual and commercial experience to join a small friendly legal team and get involved with a broad range of international work. This position is to provide support and guidance to the EMEA and Latin America sales regions. You would be responsible for your own allocation of work (territories and functions). You will also support on global projects and other key business areas. It would be great if you have experience in a life science environment in private practice or in-house. Language skills would also be advantageous.
We would also consider part time for the right candidate.
Company/Commercial Legal Support
- Provide pragmatic and solution focussed advice in a timely manner
- Draft and negotiate commercial contracts for the purchase or supply of goods and services
- Draft and maintain legal templates
- Provide preliminary advice in respect of disputes arising from commercial contracts/in course of business
- Assist in managing any litigation arising in liaison with external counsel
- Maintain the company’s contract management system
- Ensure that Legal Services webpage is kept updated
- Provide pragmatic and solution focussed guidance and advice to managers in distributor operations
- Draft and negotiate distribution agreements
Privacy/Direct to Consumer and Online
- Maintain compliance policies and other policies for which Legal take the lead
- Deliver training on compliance policies
- Be pro-active in raising compliance issues
- Add value to the analysis of business risk/decision making process
- Administer company secretarial filings/records for UK registered companies and maintain overview of such filings/records for other European companies
- Ensure timely filings at Companies House
Other support areas
- Provide support to corporate and global finance projects/initiatives as and when required
- Provide support across the region as needed in respect of Research agreements
- Support to Management of external counsel - liaise and work with external counsel in order to achieve satisfactory and cost-efficient delivery of services
Education and Experience:
- Qualified solicitor/barrister in the UK or equivalent with 2-4 years PQE in-house or in private practice.
- Educated to degree level, 2:1 or equivalent.
- Ideally would have experience in Life Sciences, B2C, privacy, consumer marketing.
- General commercial experience within a global matrix organisation would be advantageous.
- Be organised, pragmatic and enjoy working with autonomy but as part of a team.
- Be articulate and approachable.
- Strong interpersonal skills; effective relationship building and influencing skills.
- Effective listening and good communication skills – written and verbal.
- Strong project management skills along with the ability to prioritise in a fast-paced environment.
- Willingness to continuously develop expertise.
- Language skills: Excellent spoken and written English; knowledge of other European languages would be advantageous but not essential
- IT – proficient user of Microsoft office - PowerPoint, Excel, Word, Outlook.
- Some travel within the EMEA region.
- Cochlear’s mission is to help people hear and be heard. Around the world, more people chose a Cochlear-branded hearing implant system than any other. Our employees tell us that the number one reason they enjoy working for Cochlear is the opportunity to make a difference to people’s lives. Learn and grow with us as we tackle the most complex challenges in helping people to Hear Now. And Always. Cochlear is the global market leader in implantable hearing solutions including cochlear implant systems (CI) and bone anchored hearing aids (Baha™).
Cochlear is committed to providing equal opportunities to avoid unlawful discrimination on the grounds of race, sex, disability, sexual orientation, religion/belief or age.
In line with our corporate ethics and statutory obligations we strive to ensure that the work environment is free of harassment and bullying and that everyone is treated with dignity and respect - this is an important aspect of ensuring equal opportunities in employment.
Advertised: GMT Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now