Director, Market Access & Government Affairs - Japan
Job no: 609714
Work type: Permanent
Categories: Marketing, Reimbursement, Asia Pacific, Individual Contributor, Health Economics
Cochlear’s mission is to help people hear and be heard. Around the world, more people chose a Cochlear-branded hearing implant system than any other. Our employees tell us that the number one reason they enjoy working for Cochlear is the opportunity to make a difference to people’s lives. Learn and grow with us as we tackle the most complex challenges in helping people to Hear Now. And Always.
Cochlear Asia-Pacific, the fastest growing division of Cochlear Ltd, has a direct market presence in Japan, Korea, China, India, SE Asia and Australia & New Zealand. Our implantable hearing device portfolio includes Cochlear implant systems (Nucleus®) and bone conduction implant systems (Baha®)
As a member of Cochlear Japan’s Leadership Team, the Director of Government Affairs & Market Access will have the opportunity to develop and implement Cochlear’s Government Affairs and Market Access strategy in Japan. The role will focus on delivering expanded access to existing and new Cochlear implantable hearing solutions in Japan through a range of short, medium and longer term external market development activities.
The successful Director of Government Affairs and Market Access will also have the opportunity to raise awareness of hearing health and reduce barriers to customer access by influencing hearing health policy at all relevant levels; educating stakeholders influencing access decisions; and driving optimal current and future advances in access for Cochlear implantable devices (both Cochlear implants and the acoustics portfolio).
Expanded access will be achieved by defining and building strong, trusted relationships and partnering with key external political and professional stakeholders in close collaboration with Country and Business Unit Leads, the VP, APAC Market Access and Government Affairs and other Cochlear Regional and Global functions.
- Develop strategies on public access policy, including all levels of government hearing health policy and legislative issues impacting Cochlear's business in Japan.
- In collaboration with Japan Country and Business Unit Leads, be a proactive external strategic advocate on behalf of Cochlear's business interests to maximize reimbursement coverage and payment/pricing for Cochlear technology.
- Develop the Government Affairs and Market Access hearing health agenda and drive new internal processes to shape and deliver current and future opportunities.
- Actively shape the broader access and policy environment in Japan by identifying and engaging with relevant Associations, Forums and Advocacy Task Forces.
- Actively collaborate with key Cochlear Regional and Global stakeholders to identify broader global hearing health trends relevant for Japan which may result in local educational needs/policy shaping opportunities (including with relevant government divisions, direct and indirect hearing health professional stakeholders).
- Contribute ideas on systems and process methods to improve deliverables.
You Bring Your Skills and Experience
As we grow our operations, we are looking for people who share our passion for delivering quality hearing solutions to our customers. To add value to Cochlear in this role, you'll be able to demonstrate the following skills and experience:
- Bachelor Degree (Life Sciences, Public Policy, Economics, Business or a related field)
- 10+ years’ experience in the pharmaceutical, biotech or medical device industry
- Japanese and English language skills (fluent) are essential
- Strong understanding of Japan’s Healthcare Access and Policy environment, with an established healthcare policy stakeholder network
- Excellent interpersonal communication and advanced presentation and writing skills
- Strong leadership presence with the ability to inspire and motivate an organisation to focus on mid to long-term business growth
- Ability to effectively work with multifunctional teams in a multicultural environment
- Advanced Degree (Masters) in Medical Science, Public Health/Health Policy (or related field)
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in a marketing/commercial strategy/NPI role
- Experience with early product insights and developing access strategies for optimal new medical device or other health care technology introduction in Japan.
Knowledge of hearing health in Japan.
In turn, you will have the unique opportunity to engage in the delivery of life changing technology to people in Japan and work with a growing company that is constantly offering new technologies and solutions to the lives of the hearing impaired. As a global organization, you will have the opportunity to collaborate with regional and global stakeholders and enjoy recognition for delivering on outcomes. The role offers a high-level of job satisfaction and ample opportunities for career progression.
Working for Cochlear:
Cochlear is the global leader in implantable hearing solutions. The company has a global workforce of more than 3,500 people worldwide and invests more than AUD$160 million each year in research and development. Over 550,000 people across more than 100 countries now experience hearing as a recipient of a Cochlear hearing solution. Cochlear can offer:
- The Work - A high impact job supporting world leading technology
- The Organisation – A global leader in active implantable medical device hearing technology
- The Opportunity – To make a difference to the quality of people’s lives
As a world-leader in innovative medical devices, Cochlear encourages continuous learning for employees. Visit www.cochlearcareers.com for more information.
How to Apply:
Please submit your resume and a covering letter detailing your suitability for this role. All applications will be considered and qualified candidates will be contacted.
Advertised: Tokyo Standard Time
Applications close: Tokyo Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now