Cochlear’s mission is to help people hear and be heard. Around the world, more people chose a Cochlear-branded hearing implant system than any other. Our employees tell us that the number one reason they enjoy working for Cochlear is the opportunity to make a difference to people’s lives. Learn and grow with us as we tackle the most complex challenges in helping people to Hear Now. And Always.
Cochlear Asia-Pacific (APAC), the fastest growing division of Cochlear Ltd, has a direct market presence in China, Korea, Japan, India, SE Asia and Australia & New Zealand. Our implantable hearing device portfolio includes cochlear implant systems (Nucleus®) and bone conduction implant systems (Baha®)
We are seeking a commercially-minded, business savvy, Legal Counsel in China, reporting to the VP, General Counsel, APAC, to be based in our Beijing office. In this role, the successful candidate will have the opportunity to provide legal services to Cochlear’s operations across mainland China, including supporting litigation, contract negotiation, compliance training and advising on a range of legal issues (competition, anti-bribery, employment, privacy, distribution, sales and marketing, supply and operations).
The Legal Counsel, China, will be responsible for ensuring that APAC Legal maintains a culture of delivering the highest standard of legal advice to all stakeholders, with a strong focus on partnering with the China business to support execution of the China strategic plan. Working closely with the APAC Legal team, the Legal Counsel, China will develop and implement strategies to maximise the effectiveness and efficiency of the APAC Legal function.
- Participating in the early stages of negotiations involving China and third parties, ensuring that contractual terms and conditions protect and develop APAC’s business interests
- Reviewing and modifying standard templates to meet changes to local laws and regulations and/or changing business requirements
- Assisting with the management of litigation, complaints, disputes and investigations in China and reporting significant claims to APAC Legal
- Ensuring early participation in disputes and anticipating legal risks/opportunities
- Providing education and training to the China business on key areas of law
- Proactively building effective and productive working relationships with internal and external stakeholders and acting as an advocate for the APAC Legal team
- Serving as a liaison between external law firms and the China Leadership Team
- Supporting China manufacturing operations, including procurement contracts; advising on operational issues; and implementing legal compliance programs.
You Bring Your Skills and Experience
As we grow our operations, we are looking for people who share our passion for delivering quality hearing solutions to our customers. To add value to Cochlear in this role, you'll be able to demonstrate the following qualifications, skills and experience:
- Bachelor's Degree (Law) and holder of current Legal Practising Certificate (China)
- 5+ years post-admission commercial law experience (in a law firm or in-house)
- Excellent verbal communication skills and written expression in English and Chinese
- Excellent interpersonal communication, negotiation, and advanced presentation skills
- Ability to effectively work with multifunctional teams in a multicultural environment
- Ability to travel (10%), predominantly in the Greater China region
- Experience in the life sciences industry (preferably medical devices)
- Top-tier law firm experience (with international posting)
In turn, you will have the unique opportunity to be part of a growing, dynamic mutli-national Legal team, adding value as a trusted business partner to the China region.
Working for Cochlear:
Cochlear is the global leader in implantable hearing solutions. The company has a global workforce of more than 3,500 people worldwide and invests more than AUD$160 million each year in research and development. Over 550,000 people across more than 100 countries now experience hearing as a recipient of a Cochlear hearing solution.
Cochlear can offer:
- The Work - A high impact job supporting world leading technology
- The Organisation – A global leader in active implantable medical device hearing technology
- The Opportunity – To make a difference to the quality of people’s lives
As a world-leader in innovative medical devices, Cochlear encourages continuous learning for employees. Visit www.cochlearcareers.com for more information.
How to Apply:
Please submit your resume and a covering letter detailing your suitability for this role. All applications will be considered and qualified candidates will be contacted.