Job no: 609869
Work type: Permanent
Categories: Western Europe, Individual Contributor
The Software Engineer will be responsible for developing innovative and leading-edge technology to develop our award-winning medical implant hearing solutions.
This role is to complement the team in charge of the development of libraries that abstract the hardware communication allowing other teams to develop user applications without low-level knowledge of the hardware. The team is in charge of a grown and still growing set of libraries.
This role specifically encompasses the software systems engineering responsibility that requires the person to have a very good view on the entire Hearing Implant system and be able to contribute to the system design aspects of the features of these Hearing implants systems when it comes down to the software libraries mentioned above. In addition, this role is expected to contribute to the evolving future software firmware architecture on an ongoing basis.
Furthermore, the software engineer is responsible for the designing and developing the software libraries in C++, and where needed to develop application code in C# in a .NET environment that provides communication with the above-mentioned software libraries.
Cochlear is the global market leader in implantable hearing solutions for patients with a disabling hearing loss. Thanks to our expertise and dedication, more than 450,000 patients have stepped through the door of the hearing world. With the current low take up of hearing implants, the growth potential of the company is bright.
In Mechelen, we create innovative technology and platforms that are at the heart of Cochlear’s growth. We serve our internal customers, who are Cochlear Implant, Acoustic and Bone Conduction, and help them to develop a range of hearing implants products at the forefront of technology.
Software Development Activities
- Develop software within an Agile development framework.
- Develop software libraries in C++.
- Develop application code in C# in a .NET/WPF environment.
- Create software that focus on exceptional quality and user-centric design principles.
- Write and maintain technical documentation.
- Engage with the collaborative team culture, share ideas and experiences, and be open and available to suggestions from other members of the team.
Software Architecture Activities:
- Contribute to architectural design of the platforms, products, systems and Cochlear software ecosystem.
- Prepare overall software design, including partitioning of the software, the architecture/structure of internal and external interfaces.
- Align software architecture with the overall system architecture.
- Write and maintain technical architecture documentation.
- Captures, analyze and translate stakeholder system requirements.
- Understand and contribute to product requirements and new product concepts.
- Find solutions to difficult problems outside the standard solution, identify and recommend significant improvements to products.
- Work within regulated medical environment.
- University degree in software or software engineering.
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in a full cycle commercial software development environment.
- Good knowledge of object-oriented software development
- Highly experienced in C++.
- Experience with C# and developing Windows desktop client applications.
- Familiar with Agile development.
- Ability to have a broad perspective on technical development.
- Proven experience in handling requirements and design documents.
- Good written and verbal communication skills in English.
- Experience in software design and implementation for medical devices in regulated environments.
- Strong interest in medical device development and related standards and regulations.
- Proven experience in design and architecture roles that includes collaborating in a cross-functional R&D environment that includes hardware, firmware and software.
- Programming skills in Python.
Cochlear is committed to providing equal opportunities to avoid unlawful discrimination on the grounds of race, sex, disability, sexual orientation, religion/belief or age.
In line with our corporate ethics and statutory obligations we strive to ensure that the work environment is free of harassment and bullying and that everyone is treated with dignity and respect - this is an important aspect of ensuring equal opportunities in employment.
Advertised: W. Europe Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now