Data Science Summer Internship
Job no: 610138
Work type: Fixed Term Contract, Student Intern, Student/Graduate
Categories: Students & Graduates, Oceania, Individual Contributor, Data Analytics
Change people’s lives and love what you do! Cochlear is a world-leading, cutting-edge, medical device company that develop products that gift hearing to the world.
An ASX top 50 company and ranked in Grad Australia’s top 100 employers, Cochlear offers an unmatched, global platform to launch your career in STEM. As an advanced Medical Device manufacturer, Cochlear is a market-leader in implantable hearing devices, more people choose our implant system than any other.
About the Role:
Cochlear Limited is looking for a passionate, high-performing and motivated student to undertake a Data Science Internship at our Sydney office. We are looking for a penultimate undergraduate student to work full-time in the Advanced Innovation Team during their 2019/20 Summer Vacation holidays. The successful Data Science Summer Intern will have the opportunity to work alongside and collaborate with the best and brightest data scientists in the world as they mentor and support you to develop your skills and follow your passions. You won't be stuck making coffee or at the photocopier!
As part of the Data Science Summer Internship, you will be given an important project which aims to give you real-life insight into what working as a professional Data Scientist is really like. Every year our Summer Students work on a variety of different projects that add real value to our continuous research and development efforts. These projects will require you to:
- Collaborate and interact with Subject Matter Experts to understand and document the data model and business rules that apply to the data.
- Transform real world data sets into a shape suited to the analysis and/or machine learning
- Investigate and identify appropriate analysis methods for real-world data sets
- Evaluate and apply appropriate machine learning to real-world data sets
- Assess data quality and apply statistical methods to clean and infer missing data
Cochlear Limited offers a highly competitive wage and the opportunity to learn and grow alongside a supportive community of innovators. To be eligible apply for our Data Science Summer Internship, you'll be able to demonstrate the following skills and experience:
- Sound understanding of statistics and statistical modelling (eg. Inferential statistics, linear and logistic regression)
- Knowledge of machine learning (eg. Gradient descent, PCA and clustering)
- Practical experience in computing and programming.
- Knowledge of databases (Structured and NoSQL), querying, data cleaning and transformation
- Demonstrated use of Python for data science
Additionally, you will also need to be able to demonstrate the following criteria to be considered for this position:
- You are studying a Data Science, Computer Science, Mathematics or related degree.
- You are in your second-to-last year of study – finishing your final subjects in calendar year 2020.
- You are available to work full-time during your 2019/20 Summer Vacation period.
- You possess the right to work in Australia without sponsorship after graduation.
- You can support yourself and find yourself accommodation (you will be paid above award).
Cochlear is an equal opportunity employer and encourage diversity in all areas of our business, applications for our Data Science – Summer Internship close strictly at midnight 6 September 2019. Please note that due to the high volume of interest we receive, applications will be considered prior to the deadline.
Advertised: AUS Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: AUS Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now