Senior Patent Attorney
Job no: 612393
Work type: Permanent
Categories: Legal & Patents, Western Europe, Individual Contributor
Cochlear is the global market leader in implantable hearing solutions, with leading positions in the EU, USA and other regions. Cochlear is also invested in other implantable solutions in addition to hearing solutions. Our Intellectual Property department is currently looking for a Senior Patent Attorney on a permanent basis based in our location in Mechelen to support all of our technologies.
Lead implementation of licensing strategies for the IP department by working with internal and external stakeholders to achieve business objectives and ensure on-going freedom to operate and patent portfolio development.
Support Cochlear's IP Strategy by working with internal stakeholders to protect and enhance Cochlear's market position using intellectual property, work across various technology areas, product types and geographic regions, leverage Cochlear patent portfolio to support business objectives, manage third party IP risks, and develop internal processes to efficiently manage our IP portfolio.
- Responsible for supporting Cochlear’s IP Strategy by supporting the acquisition/generation of patent rights (30 -40%), managing IP risks (15 – 25%) and providing IP advice and counsel to the business (35 -45%)
- Technical or patent related support of IP litigation or licensing activities
· Assume primary implementation role within the IP department structure for licensing matters. Interact frequently with Legal, Business Development and Advanced Innovation at Cochlear as well as IP/Legal functions at partner research institutions to ensure terms and conditions conducive to our freedom to operate and patent generation.
· Interact with Legal to achieve maximum leverage of our patent portfolio in third party interactions.
· Identify 3rd parties infringing Cochlear patents.
- Provide legal counsel to inventors, technology and project team leaders regarding expectations and approaches to protect intellectual property effectively
· Manage a portion of the Cochlear patent filing process, including running patent committees and advising other internal stakeholders to create value
- Actively participate in process development and other department improvements to increase the effectiveness of the IP Dept, e.g., through streamlining processes, creating better decision-making capability within the process, and implementing tools to enhance the value of the patent portfolio
· Provide training to technical and other groups within Cochlear on IP strategy, IP procedures, and maximizing corporate benefit of its innovations
- Mentor lower band attorneys outside of normal Sydney business hours.
This is your chance to be part of a premier organization with a great culture, working in a dynamic, growing and rapidly evolving environment to deliver outstanding results that benefit our customers every day. Be part of something purposeful and APPLY now by clicking on the link below and see your career grow!
Cochlear’s mission is to help people hear and be heard. Around the world, more people chose a Cochlear-branded hearing implant system than any other. Our employees tell us that the number one reason they enjoy working for Cochlear is the opportunity to make a difference to people’s lives. Learn and grow with us as we tackle the most complex challenges in helping people to Hear Now. And Always. Cochlear is the global market leader in implantable hearing solutions including cochlear implant systems (CI) and bone anchored hearing aids (Baha™).
Cochlear is committed to providing equal opportunities to avoid unlawful discrimination on the grounds of race, sex, disability, sexual orientation, religion/belief or age.
In line with our corporate ethics and statutory obligations we strive to ensure that the work environment is free of harassment and bullying and that everyone is treated with dignity and respect - this is an important aspect of ensuring equal opportunities in employment.
Advertised: W. Europe Standard Time
Anticpated Application Closing: W. Europe Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now