Science & Engineering Summer Student Program - 2020/21
Job no: 611749
Work type: Intern (Student)
Categories: Asia Pacific, Individual Contributor, Data Analytics, Engineering, Students & Graduates
Change people’s lives and love what you do! Cochlear is a world-leading, cutting-edge, medical device company which develop products which gifts hearing to the world.
An ASX top 50 company and ranked in Grad Australia’s top 50 employers, Cochlear offers an unmatched, global platform to launch your engineering career. As an advanced Medical Device manufacturer and a market-leader in implantable hearing devices, more people choose a Cochlear branded implant than any other.
Our Summer Student program empowers you to focus on your passions; from designing hardware products, developing and improving manufacturing processes, implementing test systems, or designing and testing firmware or software, the work at Cochlear is technically challenging and incredibly rewarding.
As a Summer Student you will join our one of our science or engineering streaming. Our students are given an important engineering project that will contribute to Cochlear’s product development and give you real-life insight into working as a professional engineer. You will have the opportunity to work alongside and collaborate with the best and brightest engineering minds in the world as they mentor and support you to develop your skills and follow your passions.
Every year our Summer Students work on a variety of different projects that add real value to our R&D and Manufacturing efforts. Some examples are below:
- Designing and developing new products or components
- Contributing to product improvement projects
- Evaluating and testing technologies critical to delivering a next-generation sound processor
- Building critical research enabling software solutions
- Contributing to the design of analog and digital ASIC
- Developing voice-controlled sound processor capabilities
- Developing automated test solutions for a clinical mobile app
- Performing verification activities for product designs before they transition to manufacturing
- Investigating and testing new techniques to manufacture future generation implants
- Installing and qualifying manufacturing equipment
To prepare you for a graduate engineering career with Cochlear in 2022 we are offering paid placements in our Summer Student program from November 2020 to February 2021; based in our global R&D operations in Sydney.
What makes Cochlear unique as a graduate employer in Australia?
- We are committed to our customers for a lifetime.
- We are passionate about our mission.
- We embrace quality in everything that we do.
- We are world-leaders in implantable hearing solutions.
- We design and manufacture high-quality, high-technology products right here in Australia.
- We have world-class R&D facilities in Sydney.
- We have highly experienced engineers who proudly mentor young engineers.
- We invest in growing engineering leaders of the future by providing our graduates with unmatched career development and learning.
Cochlear offer a highly competitive wage and the opportunity to learn and grow alongside a supportive community of innovators. If you are a penultimate year engineering/computer science student we encourage you to apply if:
- You are studying engineering, computer science or applied physics with majors related to mechanical, electrical and software, disciplines: examples include Biomedical, Data Science, Computer Science, Electrical, Mechanical, Mechatronics, Software, Firmware, Systems and Material Science.
- You are in your second-to-last year of study – finishing your final subjects in calendar year 2021.
- You have achieved a credit average or better.
- You are available to work full-time for 3 months from late November 2020 to mid-February 2021.
- You can support yourself and find yourself accommodation (you will be paid above award).
- You possess the right to work in Australia without sponsorship after graduation.
- You are seriously considering starting full-time work as a graduate engineer with Cochlear in February 2022.
Cochlear pride ourselves in fostering a collaborative culture for our community of innovators; to stand out as a Summer Student you will:
- Have a passion for Cochlear's mission in making a difference to our customers’ lives.
- Be highly effective in working with other people to achieve outcomes.
- Be confident presenting in front of groups (yes, you will be expected to do this).
- Have a well-developed ability to solve problems analytically.
- Possess a responsible attitude to working safely.
- Have a strong capacity to learn how to be more effective than you already are.
- Be committed to quality in everything you do.
Cochlear is an equal opportunity employer and encourage diversity in all areas of our business, applications for our Summer Student program close strictly at midnight April 26. Due to the high volume of interest we receive, applications after this date will not be considered.
It is important our Summer Students are not intending on pursing further studies immediately after graduation as Cochlear aims to foster our summer students into industry ready engineers. If you are considering further study following your 2021 graduation, you are welcome to apply in your penultimate year of your post-graduate degree.
Advertised: AUS Eastern Daylight Time
Advertising Close: AUS Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now