Senior Patent Attorney
Job no: 612393
Work type: Permanent
Categories: Legal & Patents, Western Europe, Individual Contributor
Cochlear is the global market leader in implantable hearing solutions, with leading positions in the EU, USA and other regions. Cochlear is also invested in other implantable solutions in addition to hearing solutions. Our Intellectual Property department is currently looking for a Senior Patent Attorney on a permanent basis based in our location in Mechelen to support all of our technologies.
Leverage advanced specialist knowledge to lead implementation of licensing strategies for the IP department.
Frequently engage with internal and external stakeholders to achieve business objectives and ensure on-going freedom to operate and patent portfolio development consistent with our IP Strategy.
Influence deal making personnel across the business to support both freedom to operate and a strong patent portfolio along with other business objectives.
Support Cochlear's IP Strategy by working to protect and enhance Cochlear's market position using intellectual property, work across various technology areas, product types and geographic regions, manage third party IP risks, and develop internal processes to efficiently manage our IP portfolio.
- Assume primary implementation role within the IP department structure for licensing matters
- Interact frequently with Legal, Business Development and Advanced Innovation at Cochlear as well as IP/Legal functions at partner research institutions to ensure terms and conditions conducive to our freedom to operate and patent generation
- Manage a portion of the Cochlear patent filing process, including running patent committees and advising other internal stakeholders to create value
- Support IP generation and risk management in connection with product development projects, including executing infringement searches and performing patent analyses
- Mine Cochlear patent portfolio to identify actual and potential 3rd party infringement of Cochlear patents in support of business objectives and managing such patent assets accordingly
- Intellectual property attorney with technical background in bio-medical, electrical, or mechanical engineering or other appropriate physical science
- 10+ years’ experience, including patent license negotiation, patent litigation, application drafting and prosecution, due diligence, prior art review, etc., with patent portfolios in high tech, engineering or the medical device industry
- Patent attorney firm experience or in-house experience in a patent attorney role
- Experience and knowledge of laws, rules, regulations and practice under various national patent systems, such as US and Europe
- Service oriented, excellent communicator and relationship building skills
- Demonstrated experience with influencing senior manager level personnel in relation to patents
- Language: excellent oral and written communication skills in English (and Dutch)
This is your chance to be part of a premier organization with a great culture, working in a dynamic, growing and rapidly evolving environment to deliver outstanding results that benefit our customers every day. Be part of something purposeful and APPLY now by clicking on the link below and see your career grow!
Cochlear’s mission is to help people hear and be heard. Around the world, more people chose a Cochlear-branded hearing implant system than any other. Our employees tell us that the number one reason they enjoy working for Cochlear is the opportunity to make a difference to people’s lives. Learn and grow with us as we tackle the most complex challenges in helping people to Hear Now. And Always. Cochlear is the global market leader in implantable hearing solutions including cochlear implant systems (CI) and bone anchored hearing aids (Baha™).
- Equal opportunities
- Cochlear is committed to providing equal opportunities to avoid unlawful discrimination on the grounds of race, sex, disability, sexual orientation, religion/belief or age.
- In line with our corporate ethics and statutory obligations we strive to ensure that the work environment is free of harassment and bullying and that everyone is treated with dignity and respect - this is an important aspect of ensuring equal opportunities in employment.
Advertised: W. Europe Daylight Time
Anticipated Application Closing: W. Europe Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now