Legal Counsel (Tech Ops)
Change people’s lives and love what you do! Cochlear is the most recognized brand in hearing health care.
Human needs have always been our inspiration, ever since Professor Graeme Clark set out to create the first multi-channel cochlear implant because he saw his father struggle with hearing loss. We always start with people in mind – thinking about their needs.
For this reason, our products, services and support will continue to evolve and improve. We are by our customers’ side through the entire hearing journey, so they can experience a life full of hearing. Our employees tell us that the number one reason they enjoy working for Cochlear is the opportunity to make a difference to people’s lives and working in an organization where they can be part of bringing the mission to life each day.
About the role
As Cochlear continues to grow and service our customers, we are recruiting for a Legal Counsel role with a technology and operations focus, based out of our North American head office in Lone Tree, Colorado. This role offers a flexible hybrid work environment with a combination of in-office and remote work from home.
In alignment with our organizational principle of providing a safe work environment, employees of Cochlear are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. The only allowable exceptions include qualifying medical and religious accommodation. Proof of your COVID-19 vaccination will be required prior to your start date.
To be successful in this role you’ll be able to serve as a front-line commercial attorney for Cochlear’s product managers and operations specialists who develop, launch, and constantly improve our telehealth technology. Reporting to Cochlear’s General Counsel, and as a contributing member to the broader Legal Team, you’ll work collaboratively with a variety of different teams responsible for furthering Cochlear’s Connected Care solutions, including marketing, operations, sales, IT, clinical, and health economics. This specialized role is responsible for acting as the first point of contact and subject matter expert for Cochlear’s Connected Care suite of products and services.
- Serve as the Legal Team’s in-house expert for technology-related matters, including all telehealth and digital care initiatives, commercial content, distribution, and licensing
- Assess legal compliance across multiple jurisdictions, from the early stages of product design through launch and use
- Identify and resolve a wide range of legal matters, including licensing, privacy, data security, litigation risk, and healthcare fraud and abuse, working directly with in-house business partners in North America and around the globe
- Enable product onboarding by serving as an escalation point for compliance-related questions from hospital staff and Cochlear’s implementation teams
- Responsible for drafting and improving FAQs, legal disclaimers, license agreements, and other policies governing the use of Cochlear’s products and services
To add value to Cochlear in this role you'll be able to meet and demonstrate the following knowledge, skills and abilities in your application and at interview:
- Licensed and admitted to practice law in good standing in at least one U.S. state
- 3+ years of relevant experience in-house or with a law firm specializing in medical device, pharmaceutical, biotechnology, life sciences, or health law matters
- Experience analyzing and advising on a wide range of legal issues related to software and hardware design, software licensing, and technology platforms
- Experience with data privacy and security, and technology compliance preferred
- Experience reviewing, drafting, and negotiating commercial agreements
- Able to manage projects from inception through implementation in a team environment
- Proven negotiation skills with ability to define strategies and lead negotiations
- Builds strong relationships and ensures that stakeholders receive timely, well-reasoned commercial legal advice
- Able to process complex facts and navigate ambiguity
- Accountable and hands-on, self-starter, results oriented
- Steady and thoughtful under pressure
- Effective organizational, problem solving, verbal and written communications skills
- Ability to work independently with minimal oversight
- Inquisitiveness, along with the ability to spot issues and formulate plans to address them
Physical & Mental Demands
The physical and mental demands described below are representative of those that must be met to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the individual is regularly required to be in a stationary (seated/standing) position; utilize business technology for work product delivery, communicate orally and in writing with others internal or external to the organization, utilize problem solving/critical thinking skills to discern and convey information. The individual is regularly required to utilize comprehension, critical thinking, communication, problem solving, organization reasoning, relating to others and discernment of items such as product specifications, procedures and processes to customers (whether internal or external). Influence, organization/classification of information and planning are also required.
The work environment is an office environment and/or home/office environment and are representative of those an individual encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
In addition to the opportunity to develop your knowledge and grow professionally, we offer competitive wages and benefits. The Target Salary Range for this role is $138,000 – $145,000 per year based upon experience as well as an annual bonus of 12% of base salary.
The overall benefit program includes medical, dental, vision, life and disability, pet insurance, Employee Stock Purchase Plan, 401K Matching, PTO (vacation, holidays, floating holidays, sick and volunteer time off), tuition reimbursement, transportation supplementation, maternity and paternity leave, and wellness programs.
Apply now by completing your application form online. Applicants must meet the job specific application criteria to be considered. Visit our careers site at www.cochlear.us/careers to learn more.
Cochlear Americas is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer and provides equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, Cochlear will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities. If you require accommodation with completing the online application, please contact us via web or phone at 303-264-2549.